The Monastery of Agios Dionysios (Μονή Αγίου Διονυσίου εν Ολύμπω) is a Greek Orthodox Monastery that is now a Stavropegic Monastery, subordinated directly to the Patriarch of Constantinople and It is considered one of the most significant and famous religious sites in Pieria region.
The old Monastery of Agios Dionysios was founded and devoted to the Holy Trinity by Saint Dionysios in 1542. It is folded within Enipeas Gorge on the slopes of Mount Olympus 17km from Litochoro, just off the road leading up to Prionia, at an altitude of 850m.
The Monastery is surrounded by strong high walls with a sizable watchtower and resembles a small fortress. Hence, it served as a shelter for civilians and fighting troops during various conflicts. So, it was wrecked and built several times throughout its history.
In 1821, as it functioned as a spiritual refuge, with its abundant supply of books and its manuscript-copying workshop, it was set afire by Veli Pasha, son of Ali Pasha.
Then, In April 1943, Nazis bombed it using explosives to prevent its use as a shelter for Greek locals and soldiers.
Despite the attacks, the Monastery survived over the years and never stopped to protect the residents of Olympus. Fortunately, many of its buildings have been restored since then, preserving the original stone and wood structure of the Monastery.
Now, you can visit the ruins of the Monastery of Agios Dionysios (St. Dionysios) to worship and pray and enjoy its rare architectural wonder and hidden location that is integrated right within the ravine of Enipeas.
Opening Hours: From Sunrise to Sunset.
Entry Ticket Price: Free
3CVH+HF Litochoro, Greece